Sunday, April 8, 2018

Teen dies from explosion of makeshift cannon...

14-year-old dies in accidental explosion

Teen was building a cannon based on YouTube videos, but it misfired when showing it to friend A 14-year-old boy died Thursday evening after a cannon he was building exploded, Sheriff Scott Matheny said. Archie Pearce was making the cannon in an abandoned lot on Bitter Creek Road in Recluse and was showing the device to a 12-year-old friend, Kaidyn Sletten, about 6:30 p.m when it misfired, Matheny said. Sletten was evaluated by emergency medical services at the scene, and his parents took him to Campbell County Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor flash burns. “The intention was to experiment,” Matheny said, adding that the boys didn’t have any malicious intent. “It was just extremely unfortunate.” Pearce, a Twin Spruce Junior High student, had used a 2-inch steel pipe, cloth and gun powder or firework powder to build the cannon, but he packed too much powder into the device, said Lt. Kevin Theis. Because the pipe was packed too tightly, the projectile inside became stuck, causing an explosion that destroyed the pipe. Source

No comments:

Post a Comment